Monday, January 31, 2011

Going to College

So, as I mentioned when I said Sayonara to my facebook friends, I am applying to go to school at GF, where my hub works.  Sociology.  I need to finish my undergrad degree.  Little did I know I had already started working on it.  It sure puffed me up to find out at one of my admissions meetings that credits from my technical college nursing degree, are in fact, college level courses.  So I'm very happy to be saying 'finishing up my degree' instead of 'I only went to a technical college.'

So, I'm already missing facebook for the instant suggestions and cheerleading of my friends, but I'm pushing through.  Facebook is good for so many things for me, but the negative is outweighing the good right now, so I'm sticking to it, for today anyway.

What I'm wishing I could get encouragement about, I'll write here.  For me, blogging is actually a deeper way of connecting than facebook, and a lot fewer people frequent my blog and they tend to be my besties.  So here you go besties, please leave a comment or email me with encouragement and suggestions to help me flush out what in the heck to say on this college app essay.

Here is the description of what they want in the essay:

A personal statement is required of all applicants to our University. As a Christian university, we are particularly
interested in your spiritual journey and your philosophy of life. Because we want to know you as well as possible through
this application, you may also discuss your interests, achievements, goals, experiences, or anything else you may want us to
know. Please use a separate paper and attach. (Statement should be typed and at least 500 words.)

Including a pic of me today, sitting in my living room.  I call it, 'I'm going to College' and for some reason I think it makes this post more personal and more facebook-y in the good way that facebook is good.

Love and Light and Good thoughts and stuff,
Laura

4 comments:

TJ said...

Yay, I'm glad you're back to blogging! I think it's more personal, too. FB is kind of faceless sometimes, maybe a bit to "talking to the masses" for my taste. Although it has its good points sometimes, too.

And as for your essay, I think just telling your story and how you have become yourself, how you got to where you are now, will be a spiritual journey story. I think it's up to you as to how personal you want to let it be. You could start with childhood, or start with when you graduated high school, or when you first thought deeply about your own spirituality. I don't think it has to be all inclusive, and I think it's fine to choose what feels comfortable to divulge. And I do think that your passion for helping moms transition into motherhood and supporting breastfeeding is a big part of who you are, so I think that's important.

I think you'll do wonderfully in college and could really see you enjoying sociology classes. Good luck on the essay!

Kristen said...

Hey friend! Glad to hear your challenging yourself. Both with a Facebook fast and college. I am very excited for you and the only encouragement I have to offer for your essay is write about what excites you and be yourself, because yourself is so interesting. I miss you and hope we can make a lunch date work. The boys have been asking about you. I want to see wedding snaps! Because I missed them by not being on FB :) Kristen

Priscilla Lowery said...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm a reader. I like the hat and as for the essay I believe that as long as you stay true to you than you'll shine. Keep it real baby.

On another note, one of my chickens laid an egg within an egg!! I looked it up on-line and its extremely rare. At first I thought it was just a huge egg, so we blew out the inside and discovered another egg rolling around inside. Sometime, I show you.

I'm very happy for you with this wonderful opportunity to go back to school.

Love, Priscilla

Priscilla Lowery said...

Hey, forgive my terrible grammar today. I don't know what's up with my brain lately. Than should be then and I should be I'll.

My post will remind you to have a good editor before submitting your essay:)

Priscilla