This is the story of one woman's experience with her dog and his anal glands.
If that introduction made you feel faint, read no further: yep, one of my favorite topics: glands.
My dog Finley, sometimes referred to as my son, has another affliction besides his infection prone ears. I describe his second affliction as anal glands hyperactive disorder, or AGHD, it's a term I'm fairly certain that I have coined. This 'juice,' for lack of a better term, is something that comes out when dogs are scared; though that isn't the only time.
When I was first exposed to this liquid, Finley was scared all right. The storm door closed on his sweet tail, and the heavens released poop juice. Once I realized it came from him, I thought Finley was on his freaking death bed. My friend Mark said he'd never seen me scream and cry and be upset that much in our lives. I called the vet straight away, and once I found out he was fine, I realized that liquid was the definition of FUNK and thanked my lucky stars he'd only messed my rug, and not the carpet. And that is how I was introduced to the concept that Finley had 'anal glands.' More specifically anal glands that suffer from AGHD.
The shortest time he's gone sans expression was most recently, about a month. The longest he's gone without having them expressed, probably 4-6 months due to my obliviousness for it was prior to my knowledge of said bodily fluid. I know that he has uncomfortably full glands when he drags his rump on the ground (SICK)! The first time he did the scoot, I took him to the vet and demanded he be inspected for worms. Only to find out that his glands were engorged, if you will, and causing him discomfort. The vet tech was even worried that they might cause an infection if she wasn't very careful with 'the procedure.' Though the process seemed simple enough, you KNOW how professionals make it look easy. All she had to say was 'RISK OF INFECTION' for me to never EVER want to try Do-It-Yourself anal gland expression in my own home. That, and the smell, sheesh! Like a skunk, I say.
According to my reading and several vets, the amount of (technical term warning) butt juice that backs up in their glands, just depends on the dog, on their level of activity, their diet and it can even be from allergies. I've been in the room when they've expressed his glands and it sounds crazy but he thinks he's getting extra affection because the vet staff are otherwise petting and talking to him; though he's sometimes sore later.
According to one website the fluid is an oil and the glands can also be called sacs. I'll stick with glands.
Photo:
Seated woman with large black dog
Originally uploaded by George Eastman House
Flickr

No comments:
Post a Comment